This policy outlines the personal information handling practices of the RML in New Zealand
RML provides an integrated range of receivables, credit management and information solutions throughout New Zealand.
Sources of information
RML collects business information and personal information relating to individuals from a range of sources such as ASX; ASIC; business names databases; the media; ITSA; Courts; credit publications; industry specific reports and journals; clients; third parties; and other publicly available publications.
RMG has a firm commitment to the privacy and protection of your personal information. All information collected through this site and other sources will be kept strictly confidential and held with the utmost care.
Obligations under the Privacy Act
RML is also subject to the Privacy Act 1988. The Privacy Act contains a set of standards for the handling of your personal information known as the National Privacy Principles (NPPs). These principles set out standards for the handling of your personal information that RML must meet. They require RML to:
- Only collect personal information about you that is necessary for the recovery of debt; accounts receivable; financial and credit management services; provision of credit and business information and credit risk assessment; or to meet any legal obligations imposed on RML.
- Use only fair (accepted industry standards) and lawful ways to collect personal information.
- Collect personal information directly from a client, subject or debtor if it is reasonable and practicable to do so.
- At the time RML collects personal information from the client, subject or debtor or as soon as practicable afterwards, we will take reasonable steps to make a client, subject or debtor aware of:
- why we are collecting information about them;
- who else we might give it to; and
- any other specified matters.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the client, subject or debtor is aware of any information RML collects even if RML has collected it from someone else (a third party).
- Obtain consent to collect sensitive information about you unless specified exemptions apply.
- Only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose of collection unless one of the exceptions in NPP 2.1 applies (for example, for a related secondary purpose within the client, subject or debtor’s reasonable expectations, we have your consent or there are specified law enforcement or public health and public safety circumstances). Note that;
- If the information is sensitive (as defined under the Act) the uses or disclosures allowed are more limited.
- A secondary purpose within reasonable expectations must be directly related and the direct marketing provisions of NPP 2.1(c) do not apply.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information that RML collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date. The client, subject or debtor has a right to correct the information.
- Take reasonable steps to protect the personal information about you from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- Take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if RML no longer needs it for any purpose for which we may use or disclose the information.
- Provide advice in a short document that sets out clearly expressed policies on the way RML manages personal information and make it available to anyone who asks for it.
- If any individual asks, RML will take reasonable steps to let the individual know, generally, what sort of personal information we hold, what purposes we hold it for and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
- If an individual asks us, we must give access to the personal information RML holds about that individual unless particular circumstances apply that permit us to limit the extent to which we give access – these include emergency situations, specified business imperatives and law enforcement or other public interests.
- If it is lawful and practicable to do so, RML will give individuals the option of interacting anonymously with us.
- Only adopt, use or disclose an individual’s Commonwealth Government identifier if particular circumstances apply that would allow us to do so.
- Only transfer personal information overseas in particular circumstances and only if the country to which the information is being transferred has similar privacy standards which protect your information or where RML has taken reasonable steps to ensure that the information it has transferred will not be held, used or disclosed by the recipient inconsistently with the NPP’s.
Web-site information collection and dissemination practices
The RML site may contain links to other web-sites. RML is not responsible for the information handling practices or the content of such sites.
How to contact us
RML Privacy Officer
P.O. BOX 16125, Hornby
Christchurch, 8441 New Zealand